LESSONS, REHEARSAL OBSERVATIONS & MENTORSHIP
I love helping people become better musicians, teachers and conductors. I have developed my skills as a conducting teacher in university positions in Australia and the USA, and am a regular conducting tutor at the Victorian Schools Music Festival, working with dozens of school conductors at every level. I have also been a tutor at the Australian Band & Orchestra Directors' Association (ABODA) Victoria Conducting Summer School.
I have had the privilege of working with many respected teachers, whose wisdom I am eager to share, including:
- Prof. Craig Kirchhoff, University of Minnesota (ret.)
- Prof. Allan McMurray, University of Colorado-Boulder (ret.)
- Professor John Hopkins, University of Melbourne
- Johannes Fritzsch, former Chief Conductor Graz Opera & Queensland Orchestra
- Christopher Seaman, Conductor Laureate, Rochester Philharmonic
- Sebastian Lang-Lessing, Chief Conductor, San Antonio Symphony
Private conducting lessons
I tailor lessons to meet your needs and interests, covering all aspects of a conductor’s work including programming, score preparation and rehearsal technique as well as physical gesture. Lessons can be one off or ongoing.
Popular topics covered in lessons include:
- Becoming a more expressive conductor
- Repertoire selection and programming
- Score study, marking and preparation
- Planning well-timed, efficient, engaging rehearsals
- Conducting beginner & training bands
- Creating a culture of excellence within your ensemble or organisation
I also offer these sessions for groups of teachers/conductors as Professional Development.
Rehearsal observations & video review
Would you like some professional, confidential advice on your conducting and rehearsal technique in a real-life context? Perhaps you are feeling stuck in a rut and want a fresh perspective on a specific problem. Maybe you want ongoing personalised feedback on your teaching and conducting to develop your skills.
I can help you through an in person observation (or video review) of one or more of your rehearsals. Through this process we will:
- discuss your background as a conductor and the context of your ensemble
- your goals as a conductor and teacher
- examine your strengths and weaknesses
- discuss rehearsal strategies and technical solutions that will help you and your ensemble grow and develop
- These can be one off ‘tune-ups’ or ongoing sessions, forming a regular part of your professional development.
This flexible, ongoing partnership involves private lessons, observations and video review designed around your needs and schedule.
Lessons, rehearsal observations and mentorship sessions are charged at $75 per hour.